Project 4 started and ended in confusion for me. Luckily, the middle wasn’t so bad : )
To start, I spent about two hours downloading Adobe Premiere Pro onto my Mac only to be told that the system was not compatible. Fortunately, I spend one night each week at my mom’s house and was able to download the program on her PC. Getting to the lab at AACC is quite out of the way for me since I work in Towson and live in downtown DC.
In the meantime, I spent some time looking at clips on archive.org and creativecommons.org to see if they had what I was looking for, and I actually found a lot more than I expected. I developed a storyboard with the idea of compiling video clips of people dancing various styles of dance, and pairing them with music that was totally uncharacteristic of the style being danced. I had the idea to call it “Dance to a Different Beat.” Here’s my storyboard, if you’re interested to see where my concept started.
When it came time to put the video together, I did another quick search for dance clips and came across some that were more offbeat and comic, and it occurred to me that this would be an even more perfect fit for a video titled, “Dance to a Different Beat.” So that’s the direction I ended up going in. Between the Michael Jackson wanna-be, the ballet dancers and construction workers dancing in the streets of DC, and the groovy rollerskaters, I think it’s more entertaining than it might have been if I had gone with more serious dancers. I’ve also always love watching people just have fun dancing and letting loose, so watching these clips over and over again was quite entertaining for me.
When I finally got to using Premiere Pro, I was so happy to see that there were video tutorials—and that they were good and helpful! It didn’t take long to do the editing and I was actually enjoying myself by the time I got to the titles, transitions, and effects. It will be really helpful in my job for me to have an understanding of video editing software, like Premiere Pro, so I’m glad it was a part of this class.
I was, however, thrown for a loop at the end when I had to select the right formats and file sizes, and when I was trying to get resize all of the clips to be the same size. I ended up enlarging them all to fit the frame because I couldn’t locate instructions on how to resize each clip, so it resulted in pixilated clips. I wish I could have fixed it, but I was totally out of time and now my mom’s computer is crashed! Hopefully in the future I’ll have the chance to figure it out : )
Anyway, here is my video. Hope you enjoy it!

Nice blog you have here, very cozy feel thanks to the colors. You were the one who did her video with a bunch of dance clips as well; even so, there are plenty of differences: yours seems to have a more hip-hop theme while I, at least attempted to, make mine with a wider array of styles. I like both of ours as they are and it seems you had some fun doing it just as I did.
ReplyDelete