For Project 3, I choose to research the Art Deco movement. My mom has a few pieces of Art Deco artwork in her home that I’ve always thought were interesting, so I decided to select the movement for my topic with the hope of learning more!
The research part was fairly easy for me, but by no means fun – I’m not exactly an art history buff. I did, however, really enjoy selecting images and designing the presentation in InDesign. I haven’t used InDesign for a few years now, but with a little trial-and-error, I got back on my feet with it.
I choose to use diamonds as a motif in my design, pared with vibrant colors and classic Art Deco fonts. I’m not completely happy with how the font I used in the body text turned out, but I searched for quite some time and this was the best one I could find. I do like the header font I selected, and tried to use the thick and thin dark line combo as a design element throughout the presentation, using it to underline each slide’s title and to frame each photo. I tried to show a variety of images, illustrating the people, the patterns, the posters, and the furniture of the movement.
Normally I would never use this much text on PowerPoint slides, but looking at the student example projects and considering that we’re not all actually in a class together where a verbal presentation can be given, I didn’t think the point of the project was to limit the text; instead, I tried to design around it and present the text in a way where it was neat, easy to read, and pared with a complementary photo. Hopefully I was mildly successful : )
Here are some slides from my presentation. Let me know what you think!
“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last you create what you will.”
About Me
- Rosie
- Washington, DC
- Hi! My name is Rosie. I graduated from American University in 2008 with my bachelor's degree in communication, marketing, and French. I currently work full time as marketing director for a custom bedding and furniture store called "Make Your Own Bedroom" (aka: MYOB), opening in Towson this winter. I'm hoping to attend the Corcoran College of Art + Design next fall as a graduate student in interior design, which is why I am taking this course! I love what I do, but I can't wait to get into the interior design industry - it is my dream!



I thought you did an awesome job on your project. I agree that the header font you used fit perfectly with the theme of your project. I spent so much time playing around and deciding which font I was going to use, and in the end I still wasn't totally satisfied with what I chose. I can tell by looking at your project that you are familiar and very good using InDesign. Great job!! Christy Steeves
ReplyDeleteThanks, Christy! I appreciate the kind feedback : )
ReplyDelete