So, for my first post I thought I would share some paintings from a favorite artist of mine, Paul Signac. Signac was a famous French painter whose work I came to love while studying abroad in the south of France during my junior year of college. His style, which is known as pointillist, is amazing to me. Take a look at a few examples of his work and see what I mean!
The small dots of color are said to come together in the viewer’s eye rather than on the canvas. The result is a slightly distorted, pixilated look—similar to what we might see today on a computer screen when a graphic’s resolution is not high enough—although his paintings are much more pleasant to look at than pixilated images. For me, there is something absolutely magical about these paintings—the vibrant colors, the dreamy scenery, and the whimsical motion.
I believe he uses stylization in his work. There is more realism than in Diebekorn’s painting, but also slight abstraction. There is definite shape and shadow, as well as an incredible use of implied lines, which I very much appreciate as a person that generally has a difficult time of drawing lines. I hope you enjoy Signac as much as I do!
For more information, click here.
Hi Rosie -
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I love paisley and polka dots! So I guess we have that in common. :) Also, your job at Make Your Own Bedroom sounds so neat - I'm interesting in a marketing/communications blend, so that seems really cool to me.
I have never seen any of Paul Signac's art before, but it is really beautiful! I can definitely see what you're saying about the pixelated appearance and how they come together in the eyes of the viewer and not on the canvas - it is an amazing concept with a really neat result. Thanks for the glimpse into his work!
Kristi Rains
www.kristirains.blogspot.com
Thanks for your comments. I also like the pointillist style. I would love to talk to you more about your work. BTW, yes, it is a painting, mixed media (oil, acrylic, marker)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments!
ReplyDeleteThank you, yes thank you because through your blog that I managed to put a name on the artist and the painting "Antibes, in the evening" as I had seen at the Museum of Fine Arts in Strasbourg.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1025022468